Broadlands Recycling Information
64-gallon toters for recycling can be ordered for one time $25 charge must be paid before delivery on a Wednesday. Call 703-257-7100 to place an order.
Paper / Fiber - Clean, dry paper that can be torn
· Office paper (including typing, fax, copy and letterhead), colored paper and envelopes
· Cardboard and paperboard boxes (including all cereal boxes, frozen food packaging, etc.). Cardboard boxes must be flattened and no larger than 4’ x 4’ in order to be recycled. Otherwise, they will be collected with trash.
· Books (including paperbacks, textbooks, hardbacks, telephone books)
· Newspapers (with inserts), magazines and catalogs, junk mail
· Shredded paper contained in a sealed or tied bag
· Aseptic / Gable-top milk and juice cartons
· Corrugated cardboard, cardstock
· Non-metallic wrapping paper
· Brown paper bags (Kraft)
Plastic, Glass and Metal (Non-Fiber)
· #1-#7 Rigid plastic containers including bottles, jugs, wide-mouth tubs, and trays (clean)
· Aluminum food/beverage containers, aluminum foil, aluminum pie pans
· Steel/tin cans, such as soup and vegetable cans
· Aerosol cans (empty)
· Glass jars and bottles
· Clear, bagged plastic film (grocery bags contained within 1 bag-please make sure this is in the recycle bin)
The following plastic items:
· milk/soda crates
· buckets with metal handles
· laundry baskets
· lawn furniture
· flower pots
· drinking cups/glasses
· 5-gallon water bottles
· pallets, plastic toys
· empty garbage/recycling bins
Unacceptable Recycling Materials Non-Fiber:
· Styrofoam (cups, plates, bowls, take-out containers, foam packing material of any kind)
· Colored plastic film (candy/food wrappers or bags, colored plastic bags)
· Non-container glass (cookware, plate glass, window glass)
· Materials contaminated with food waste and/or grease
· Loose plastic bags-must be contained in one bag
· Plastic cutlery (forks, knives, spoons)
· Motor oil containers
Unacceptable Recycling Materials (Paper / Fiber):
· Used paper towels, tissues
· Used paper plates, cups, etc.
· Metallic wrapping paper
· Wax paper, laminated paper
· Any paper contaminated with food waste
· Loose, shredded Paper (must be contained in one tied or sealed bag)
Special Wednesday Service at No Cost
Patriot Disposal will collect special items (within reason) from all residential units weekly on Wednesday.
Special items include:
White goods (appliances)
Other large items
Special items that will be collected and recycled include:
Scrap metal (grills, bicycles, swings, chairs, etc.)
Small electronics (computers, monitors, small TVs, small printers, VCRs, etc.)
Used motor oil (in a sealed, plastic container, clearly labeled)
Note: Additional items, or items that are extremely large or heavy, will be collected for a minimum fee of $25.00. TVs or monitors larger than 19” will be picked up for a minimum fee of $25.00; tires will be picked up for a minimum fee of $20.00 each. Carpeting will be priced for pickup on a case-by-case basis, depending on the quantity. Special items scheduled for pickup that are not out on the scheduled pickup day will be re-scheduled for pickup at the request of the homeowner for a $25.00 fee. All fees for special pickups must be prepaid by the homeowner prior to removal.
With the exception of small furniture and mattresses, advance notice is required for the collection of all special items.
Yard Waste Each Monday, Patriot Disposal will remove yard waste that has been placed at the curb for collection.
Please note the following requirements concerning the collection of yard waste:
1. Yard debris (leaves, grass clippings, brush) may be mixed with trash only during the months of January, February and March.
2. Brush must be cut into four-foot lengths, with limbs no larger than six inches in diameter.
3. Brush must be tied in bundles no larger than two feet in diameter.
4. Yard debris must be placed in separate containers, marked “yard waste” or in biodegradable bags.
5. Yard waste that is put out at the curb in plastic bags will not be picked up.
6. Yard waste must be placed at the curbside and/or designated area by 7 a.m. for collection.
7. Food waste mixed in with yard waste will be accepted, as it can be composted.
8. The weight limit for yard waste is 35 pounds per bag or container.
What is Single Stream Recycling?
Single stream recycling refers to a system in which all recyclable materials (newspaper, cardboard, plastic, glass, etc.) are mixed together instead of being sorted separately by the homeowner and handled separately throughout the collection process. In single stream, both the collection and processing systems are designed to handle a fully commingled mixture of recyclables. Therefore, it is not necessary for the homeowner to separate the materials as they are collected; it is not necessary for the hauler to keep the materials separate as they are transported to the sorting facility and it is not necessary for the processing facility to keep the materials separated. Instead, the materials are collected altogether by one collection vehicle and taken to a materials recovery facility where the recyclables are loaded into one stream, and transferred to the sorting chamber. The items are then identified and sorted by various instruments, screens, magnets, air jets and other mechanical means as they are transported along a conveyor belt.